Today, my thirteen things are the thirteen degrees of -R-. The premise is based on the idea of six degrees of separation, or six degrees of Kevin Bacon, but instead of Kevin Bacon, it is me! And really it is going to be one degree of -R- because I am just going to list "famous" people I have met or have a (somewhat tenuous, and by somewhat I mean very) connection.
When I reread this post, it looks like I am namedropping. But the point of this is how LAME my namedropping is.
1. George Burns - When trying to fly to visit my grandparents in Florida when I was about 5, my family was trapped in the DFW airport because there was a tornado warning. So was George Burns! So I chatted with him.
2. Sarah Vowell - I met her at a book reading, as you may remember.
3. Ahman Green - I was on a flight with him not too long ago. He was sitting one row ahead and across the aisle from me. The guy next to him did not speak to him the whole flight, and then when Ahman was about to get off the plane, the guys blurted out, "Good luck, Ahman!" Ahman just rolled his eyes. He also tried to make a phone call during the flight and use his Ipod when we weren't supposed to be using electronic devices. It was so crazy!!! [read with sarcasm]
4. One of the stars of the American Pie movies - I went to high school, had a lot of classes, and was in extracurricular activities with this person. FYI, this person is a jerk.
5. My dad had lunch with Bo Jackson when Bo (we are on a first name basis) played for both the Royals and whatever football team he played for.
6. Brett Saberhagen (former pitcher for the KC Royals) - When he was pitching for KC, he was one of my friend's neighbors. I was in the first grade, and I think my friend gave me a baseball card signed by Mr. Saberhagen.
7. When I was in fourth and fifth grade, one of my friends lived across the street from a NY Jet. The Jet's daughter went to school with me but was much younger. We were obviously very close, as I have no idea what the daughter's name or the player's name is.
8. Aaron Neville - My dad also met him about ten years ago when Aaron Neville was filming an American Express commercial.
9. My mom met some of the original members of the Beach Boys. They were playing at some corporate event my parents had to go to.
10. We met a football player for the University of Minnesota on the flight from Houston to Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago. He is not famous, but he is a starting player for the team. I am running out of people!
11. Oh, John (Jon?) Carroll, who was on one of the Survivor shows and did pretty well- I worked with him on some things. (Could I be more vague?)
12. David Letterman - DL and I were at the same minor league game in Indianapolis when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I didn't actually get to meet him, but he was about two feet away from me. If I can count the Ahman Green thing, I can count this.
13. George Schulz, former Secretary of State - my friend has met with him and is/was doing research for his next book, I think. Or something. I would call and ask, but I have to leave to go pick H up at the airport!
If I were a good blogger, I would provide links for each of these people, but I am not, so I will not. To which "celebrities" do you have a tenuous connection???