Monday, March 27, 2006

Don't Worry, Be Happy

As you may be able to tell from my last post, I am trying to be more positive!

The song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" reminds me of the music teacher I had in elementary school in New Jersey. Mr. Sibonjin. During the summers, he had a lounge act in Atlantic City. He taught us all kind of loungey songs like "Mack the Knife" and the song that goes, "Five foot two, eyes of blue, but oh what those five feet can do! Has anybody seen my girl?"

One semester, our concert was a tribute to Irving Berlin. We celebrated the 100th anniversary of his birth. Really, what 9-year-old doesn't need to know all the words to "Puttin' on the Ritz," "Cheek to Cheek," and "Easter Parade." I can't believe my parents sat through the whole thing. We ended with a rousing rendition of "God Bless America" that had the whole crowd standing. (I think it was because Mr. S made them.)

Perhaps you are wondering what all this has to do with Bobby McFerrin and his hit, "Don't Worry, Be Happy." We performed that in concert, as well as "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys.

Here is the problem: When I memorize a song, I can't forget it. So darn you, Mr. Sibonjin! Because of you I am a 26-year-old lounge singer in the shower every morning.

No comments: