Monday, February 13, 2006

Monkey Freak Out

We finally went to see Glory Road last night. I loved it. I love cheesy, "inspirational," sports movies with happy endings. (Not those kind of happy endings, H.) I loved Hoosiers. I loved Miracle. And I have cried at the end of Rudy every single time I have watched it, even when I was watching it with a room full of 9th graders. (I taught a faith formation, aka CCD, class last year, and another teacher brought Rudy in on the last day for some reason. We all watched it together, and I totally cried. But it was just the leaky tears kind of crying. So maybe no one noticed. Yeah, right.)

Right now, H and I are on a Hitchcock kick. Actually, we are just on my section of the Blockbuster Online list, and I am loving it. H thought he was going to hate all the movies, but he has actually admitted to liking some of my selections. So far we have seen North by Northwest (probably the best one), Rear Window (another one of my favorites - Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, and Perry Mason!), Charade (surprisingly good), To Catch a Thief (not that great), and Vertigo (not good at all). We just got Notorious in the mail today, and I am looking forward to it. I have never seen it all the way through, and although I've seen the end several times, I really want to see the beginning!

The worst movie I have ever seen is 2001: A Space Odyssey. It took H and I three nights to watch the whole thing because H fell asleep during it the first two nights. The first night he fell asleep, I kept watching it. When he woke up and aksed what he had missed, I told him, "Just monkeys freaking out a couple times." Seriously. The second night he fell asleep, I just turned the thing off because he was the one who wanted to watch it. I had had quite enough monkey freakouts. On the third night, we watched the rest of it, but I don't know why because we both hated it, and it made no sense. For example, I bet the following search phrase will lead you to a website about 2001: A Space Odyssey: "monkey freakout Jupiter fetus." That is my summary of the movie: monkey freakout Jupiter fetus. I don't get it, and I don't want to. Thus concludes my movie reviews of movies from prior decades. We are on the cutting edge here in Minnesota. What are these Internets you speak of?

No comments: